06 November 2012

The Inchewan, Birnam Glen

Walks in Dunkeld

I'm lucky to be living in Birnam, Dunkeld. Within five minutes of leaving the house I can be far enough up Birnam Glen not to be able to hear the A9 traffic. This valley walk follows the winding course of the lovely Inchewan Burn and is the starting point for many other walks including the Birnam Hill ascent. You can also choose to walk a short loop through the forest or go further afield – Rumbling Bridge and The Hermitage on the River Braan can both be reached from here.

The Inchewan

My wife and I walked up Birnam Glen one evening in late August after hours of torrential rain. The Inchewan looked fit to burst its banks – brown water crashing down the glen, completely hiding even the larger rocks on the burn's bed. The light was fading fast, otherwise I'd have nipped home to grab a video camera, and I decided instead to come back the next day. In the morning the Inchewan was at its most beautiful – a vigourous stream of pure, clear water dancing over and around the rocks. I walked as far as the footbridge with my Canon XL1, recording all the way. Here are the edited highlights.



See also Inchewan Falls (the next post).

No comments:

Post a Comment