16 October 2012

Euclesia, South Rhodes

On the Road in Rhodes

En route to Asklipio we parked our little rental car in the square in Euclesia for a short break and to try to get our bearings. Genie spotted an interesting building and disappeared for a while with her camera while I smoked a cigarette and tried to figure out where we were. The road map didn't help so I walked around looking for road signs that might point us in the right direction. Then, growing impatient, I started to look for Genie.

I found her in an abandoned building, totally absorbed with her photography. No surprise there. I could see why she wanted to take these photos as it's a weird and wonderful place, but was also keen for us to carry on with our journey. I coaxed her back towards the car.

Euclesia, where's that?

I didn't know what to say about Euclesia. Writing these little articles about our travels in Rhodes in June 2012 I've been referring to the road map we bought in Pefkos. It didn't help in this case as Euclesia wasn't to be found on the map. In the end, both Genie and I searched on-line and nothing was to be found of any relevance. It was as if we'd gone off the map and found ourselves in some other dimension. Looking at the file names of these photos it's obvious that they were taken before the ones of Asklipio, so all I can say with any certainty is that Euclesia is somewhere inland on the road to Asklipio. If you know more, please let us know!

I wish I'd been more patient that day. Genie tells me that she was "just getting into it" when I interrupted her photography and that she could have spent another hour or more taking photos in this derelict building. I'm sorry about that.

If, like Genie, you're a keen photographer, you'll really want to check this place out. But you enter the building at your own risk!

No comments:

Post a Comment